Whether this is your first time participating or you are a Bout of Books veteran, we are happy to have you with us.While we've attempted to make this site as user friendly as possible, it can still be intimidating to try and figure out what steps you need to take. This page was created as a simple guide to the sign up process and what you can do to help spread the word about Bout of Books.
1. Declare your intention to join us and link back to us. Post on your site (use the blurb below!), Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Goodreads, Google+, or anywhere else you’re publicly updating. This helps us spread the word about the read-a-thon, so be sure to include boutofbooks.blogspot.com in your update.
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 21st and runs through Sunday, August 27th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 20 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
2. Add your link to our sign up post. If sign up is open, you'll find the link in the sidebar. Your link must go directly to your “I’m joining #boutofbooks!” update. We won’t scroll through all your posts, tweets, videos, or updates to verify your participation.(optional) 3.a. Set your goals. This can be the same as your sign-up post. Here's a template for you if you want one. PLEASE NOTE: Setting your goals is OPTIONAL. In an effort to remind our participants that Bout of Books is about ENJOYING reading and not beating yourself up about not hitting the goal you set for yourself, we no longer have a goal linky.
3.b. A note about goals: We DO NOT require you to set goals for Bout of Books. If you do, you’re not locked into them. If you don't want to set goals, don't. If you do, feel free to change them if real life happens. Or set easy ones like, “Read” or “Have fun.” We don’t believe you can fail #boutofbooks.
3.c. No, really. Our motto is “Flailing, not failing” and we enforce it. It brings everyone down when you say you’re failing.
In our ongoing attempt to make this read-a-thon as fun as possible, we've compiled a list of Read-a-thon Tips and Twitter Tips. The Help page provides answers to many of the common questions we've seen since Bout of Books first made its debut.
General etiquette rules for Bout of Books:
1. Read the directions carefully and follow them. If you've read directions and are still confused about what to do, we have a group of experts who have volunteered to help answer questions via Twitter. You can @ them directly or send out a general call for help using the #BoutOfBooks hashtag.
- Bout of Books Experts (AKA, our beloved volunteers who are here to help):
- [watch the Bout of Books blog to see how YOU can become a Bout of Books expert)
- Hosts. BoB averages about 500 participants every readathon. This means that if there are two people answering questions, it is one person for every 250 readers. Realistically, we cannot help everyone through every step of the readathon process. It is up to the reader to help themselves first, and when something isn't working, to contact us.
- Challenge and giveaway hosts. People use their own money to give away prizes, or take time to create a challenge. If you don't like either the challenge or the prize offered, don't enter.
- Fellow reader. This is a community event. It is not a contest between readers. Bring morale up with encouragement, don't bring it down by comparing who has read more books.
Now, prepare your lists and get ready to get your read on!